DIY (do-it-yourself) Kit
Most people who have a need for a CNC cutting machine are metal fabricators, who given enough time, could probably design and build the mechanical part of a coordinate drive cutting machine. However, just because you may be capable of doing something doesn't necessarily make it the most economical decision. While the physical machines may look simple, it took us hundreds of hours of experimentation, construction of prototypes, and modifications before we felt they were ready for the public. Since then, our machines have undergone further refinements based on customer feedback and suggestions.
Spending hundreds of hours of your time and ending up with an inferior machine with no warranty is false economy. The time would be better spent using the machine to do what you intend it to do. Those who want to save money by doing part of the fabrication can do so by purchasing our Torchmate 1 CNC DIY kit. The Torchmate 1 was our original offering to small shops that could benefit from the CNC process but could not justify the high cost of commercial units on the market at the time.
The Torchmate 1 allows those on a tight budget to beneﬁt from all the advantages of CNC plasma cutting. Your Torchmate CNC Cutting System will do much of the work in your shop 50 to 100 times faster than that you’re currently spending through manual cutting or the use of dated metal cutting tools. The time necessary to complete the Torchmate 1 gantry kit and fabricate your rail system is approximately 40 hours. Essentially, you are exchanging your labor for big savings.
The Torchmate 1 kit offers a full 6’x40’ capacity down to a capacity of 4’x4’. Only requiring basic metal fabrication skills, you construct and assemble the entire machine from steel you purchase locally for approximately $400 (varies by location.) This saves big in shipping expenses. We provide plans, driver software, electronics, all the brackets, timing pulleys and belts, gearing, needle bearing cam followers and hardware for the project. You buy only the required steel tubing and cold roll bar. Unlike the Torchmate 2 and 3, which use an industrial linear motion Y axis roller cassette and rail, you fabricate the Torchmate 1’s y-axis parts. It will consist of a carriage with hardened needle bearing cam followers that grip all four sides of a piece of 3/4" x 2" cold roll steel bar. Cold roll steel holds a very close tolerance, usually within a thousandth of an inch. We supply the brackets and cam followers, which are fully adjustable for alignment and tensions against the bar. You supply the mounting plate and cold roll bar.
While manufacturers of CNC cutting machines try to make their instructions as clear and understandable as possible, chances are that you will at one time or another need to call for technical support. Make sure you don't have to pay for it. You are paying several thousand dollars for someone's product. You have the right to assistance if you need it. It is good to know that there is someone who is only a telephone call away that can answer any question that might come up. Original Torchmate purchasers receive unlimited free telephone technical support for as long as they own the machine.
It is not uncommon for Torchmate 1 owners to run their machines 8-10 hours per day, 365 days per year. The Torchmate 1 has permitted thousands of customers to realize the precision and efficiency of CNC production that once was thought to be out of reach.
4’x8’ Torchmate 1
Owner: Carlos Testropo of Puerto Rico
4’x8’ Torchmate 1 with customer constructed water table
Owner: Lee Adams of San Diego, California
Torchmate 1 with customer constructed roll out material support table
Owner: George Becker of Pierce, Colorado
Torchmate 1 with customer constructed water table and uses Thermal Dynamics 151 plasma cutter
- 4’x4’ to 6’x40’
- 4’x8’ machine leaves 80”x132” footprint
- Do-it-yourself kit
- Plans, unpainted steel brackets, timing pulleys and belts, gearing, x-axis hardened needle bearing cam followers, and hardware
- User provided locally purchased square wall tube for legs and y-axis
- 8 amp Micro-stepping stepper motors
- One x-axis drive and motor and one y-axis drive and motor
- 380 oz. in. motors
- PC based control software with USB interface
- Approximately 350 lbs. for 4’x8’ table
- 15 amp/ 110 volt for controls
- 220 volt models available for international customers
- 4’x4’ to 6’x40’
- Up to 13 in. thick (Tool dependent)
- Dual rack and pinion
- Belt reduction rack and pinion drive
- Up to 300 ipm with stepper motors
- Up to 1500 ipm with servo motors
- Up to 150 ipm with stepper motors
- Up to 500 ipm with servo motors
- Approximately .0015” with stepper motors
- Approximately .0004” with servo motors
Available Plasma Units
Compatible with most plasma cutters
- Tomahawk® 375
- Tomahawk® 625
- Auto Cut Series
- Ultra Cut Series
- Manual Systems
- Cutmaster A Series
- Powermax Series
- Torchmate Driver Software
- Accepts any .dxf or G-code
- Everything in CAD/CAM Lite plus nesting, scanning and hogging
- In addition to being a full-blown computer assisted design program, BobCAD renders 2D images into three dimensional shpes. It then generates G-code to create the 3D pieces with torchmate’s automated z-axis in conjunction with a router, roto-ZIP tool, engraver, etc.
- Create digital 3D models of your projects before you start the actual fabrication process. All parts fit together just as they would in a physical model. It is possible to rotate the model, zoom in to see the finest detail, and view its components model from the real thing.
- RhinoCAM is a general purpose machining program for the general machinist. RhinoCAM includes 2 ½ axis, 3 axis, 4 axis and 5 axis operations. This powerful package is ideal for mold, die and tooling, wood working rapid prototyping and general machining markets and generate G-code to be directly sent to the Torchmate machines. This product boasts of powerful toolpath generation strategies coupled with tools for efficiently controlling the cutting tool for detailed machining capabilities, while not sacrificing ease of use. It has all the basic functionality as well as additional features suitable for demanding users with sophisticated manufacturing requirements.
- Windows XP/Vista/’07
- 1 GHz processor
- 1 GB RAM
- 30 GB hard drive
- Full 1 year warranty on electronics, parts, and software
- Lifetime unlimited free technical support